Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Power Animals: A Spiritual Aside



So, what is your power animal?

According to Native American teachings, we each have 9 power or totem animals and each of these animals carry a specific medicine. You have an animal that represents each of the seven directions: East, South, West, North, Above, Below and Within. There are two more animals that are always with you; they walk on your left (female side) and right (male side). Each direction has a lesson to teach you and your totem animal is there to help guide you.

These are my animals and the medicine they carry:

East Mountain Lion (leadership)
South Squirrel (gathering)
West Swan (grace)
North Dolphin (manna or life force)
Above Wild Boar (confrontation)
Below Raven (magic)
Within Spider (weaving-creative force)

The animals on the left and right have usually been with us all our lives...they appear in dreams and our desires. For me, that has been obvious. On my left is the Wolf (pathfinder, teacher) but the right has not been so clear...first it was a white tiger, then the horse and now the raven.

Every day I pull an 'animal card' and today was Wolf...I rarely pull this card, which is unusual since Wolf is always with me in one form or another (physically, I have my wolf at my feet as I type this).


Given that we have a full moon upon us, I find this significant as I've been in a, let's just say, less than jovial mood...for no reason! Here is what it says for Wolf:

"...your intuitive side may also have an answer or teaching for your personal use at this time. As you feel Wolf coming alive within you, you may wish to share your knowledge by writing or lecturing on information that will help others better understand their uniqueness or path in life. It is in the sharing of great truths that the consciousness of humanity will attain new heights..." Hmmm...good stuff...but I think Wolf is telling me the second part:

"Wolf could also be telling you to seek out lonely places that will allow you to see your teacher within. In the aloneness of a power place, devoid of other humans, you may find the true you...Wolf would not come to you unless you requested the appearance of the tribe's greatest teacher."

So, believe what you want about this, but the fact is, animals are powerful and they have a lot to teach us. I hope we listen before it's too late.

(and, yes, this is my art work, though the wolf painting is a modified copy from my medicine cards. That being said, none of the art on this site may be reproduced in any way, shape or form without express written permission )

2 comments:

wampoline said...

I'm looking at the painting you gave me of Hummingbird (Joy) :-)...I have to laugh when i think of a hummingbird whirring busily from place to place and thing to thing (will i ever settle down?)...I liked this passage in your blog about Wolf:
"Wolf could also be telling you to seek out lonely places that will allow you to see your teacher within. In the aloneness of a power place, devoid of other humans, you may find the true you..."
I think this is esp. true for women, who need to "go in to the cave" from time to time (after spending so much time nurturing others)...

Angela said...

Hummingbird needs to move here and there to spread her joy...and think of all the joy you give to people all around the world, Caroline! That being said, I was looking out my kitchen window at the beautiful cherry blossoms (remember how much you love them?) and saw a hummingbird sitting on a branch...I've never seen that before! So, they do settle from time to time, but that's not what hummingbird is about.

As far as the cave, if it has a hot tub, fine wine, chocolate and aromatherapy candles, I'm there. It must have a view of the ocean, too, as the sound of the waves is the sound of life itself.