Sunday, February 8, 2009

Tikka Mark



Exactly two years ago, Tikka made her mark on my family. I really wasn't consciously looking for another dog but when I came across her petfinder page...well...I had to make the call. Mr. Dogma was like, "Uh, uh...we don't need anymore dogs," I figured he just didn't realize he needed another dog and thought, "better to ask for forgiveness than permission." The first thing Tikka did when she arrived at her new home was give Mr. Dogma a big kiss. "I guess you are staying, " He said.

Tikka had heartworm and had started treatment. Grateful Dogs Rescue was thrilled I wanted to adopt her, but I needed to keep her quiet for several months. She had also suffered from 'subdermal emphysema' which caused her face to blow up like a balloon! She has had several surgeries since the adoption...two for mammary tumors and one for a low grade cancer, in addition to being hospitalized for a type of liver toxocis which really scared me. Through it all, she remained her happy, loving self. Granted, she doesn't like big dogs much; well, she doesn't like dogs much...which is a bummer for Roman. But, at least she is not attacking him anymore. She has been the easiest dog I've ever had. Tikka took to training well (all except stay, she mastered in minutes), was perfectly housebroken from day 1 and can be left alone for long hours (not that I like to do that, but if I have to...) without making any noise or damage (and I would know, since my mom, who is retired, lives upstairs). Tikka is the perfect example of the joy of adopting an older dog, since she was 5 or 6 when we adopted her. She sees her job in life as a couch warmer, a bed warmer, a lap warmer and a depression lifter. Everyone...and I mean everyone...who meets her is immediately taken in by her charm. She is the most kissy dog I've ever had and particularly likes to give 'sneak attacks'.

Many have asked, "What is she?" DNA test resulted in a mix of shih tzu and yorkie with a splash of Bernese Mt. Dog and a whole lotta mutt. I say she is a cross between cute and adorable.

Tikka came with her name. We kept it because it just fit her and my favorite Indian dish is Chicken Tikka Masala. A 'tikka' is also a hindu blessing given as a mark on the forehead.

She has certainly been a blessing for us.



Tikka today...

Tikka in the spring of 2007 after her heartworm treatment...
Her first night in her new home...

Her first week in her new home...

No comments: