Monday, July 16, 2007

Sometimes, Mother Doesn't Know Best


I've done my best...I really have...to expose Erik to a world beyond Nintendo, sports and Guitar Hero. Trips to art and science museums, educational walks in nature, travel and visits to national landmarks. For some reason, he has become quite bored lately with these efforts to expand his mind. He does love music, though, and he's been playing the bass guitar for a year 1/2. He can listen to a song, pick out the bass notes and play without me needing ear plugs. The other day, he came home late (Erik is a "better to ask for forgiveness, than permission" sort of guy) because he decided to stop at the Guitar Center and buy himself an electric guitar. So, the kid likes music.

What better way to develop this love than to enroll him in a music camp? This has been met with great resistance. I just knew, if he gave it a try, he would like it. Wrong.

"How was camp today, honey?"

"Mom, I am never going back."

"What do you mean, honey? What did you do?"

"We clapped...in a circle. We had to draw a picture about how we felt after listening to Beethoven. We had snack! We had Nilla wafers for snack. And, I'm, like, the oldest kid there. My partner is 8 years old and into Pokemon."

I couldn't help myself, but I burst out laughing to the point of tears. Erik is 5'10, 140 pounds and needs to shave.

He continued, "All I could think was 'My mom is INsane!' I looked out the window, and my friends were playing dodgeball in the Strength & Conditioning class and I'm sitting with 8 year olds eating Nilla wafers."
Needless to say, Erik will be switching to the Strength & Conditioning camp tomorrow.

No comments: