Monday, August 6, 2007

Introducing...




Tikka, TT










and...Roman, TT


We finally got our first titles! TT stands for Temperament Test and is issued by the American Temperament Test Society.

Each dog had to pass 10 subtests that presented the dogs with visual, auditory and tactile stimuli along with neutral, friendly and threatening situations. Both dogs passed with flying colors. Roman had absolutely no reaction to the gun shot test; in fact, he nonchalantly lifted his leg to pee when the shots were fired. He put himself between me and the "threatening stranger", alerted when the stranger came running at us, but didn't move from his post. The evaluator asked me if this dog was worked in obedience since he was in 'obedience mode' the whole time (walking on my left, looking to me, even though I couldn't give him commands or talk to him in any way). He also said I should consider doing therapy work with him, as Roman scored high on friendliness and had "excellent people skills." (sounds like a job application)

Tikka did surprisingly well, too. She did take the opportunity to take a dump at the friendly stranger station (nothing like a dog to keep you humble), but she stood her ground at the threatening stranger though appeared quite unimpressed (the guy was dressed like a bum, walked like a drunk, waved a stick and yelled incoherently-like a lot of people we see on on our walks to Moscone Park or certain family members). Several dogs that were tested panicked and tried to get away from the stranger, hide behind the handler, or refused to walk over the grating. This is an automatic failure.

Needless to say, my bozos made their mama proud.

Next, the CGC, Rally, Novice and Agility. My cousin said I had too much time on my hands (between all the dog shows, training, fish shows and breeding, it's been a busy summer); Suzy, I tell you, I don't have enough!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

way to go Roman and Tikka.

David Madden said...

glad to see you and your dogs etc are doing well... I just got another white shepherd;
http://davemaddendotnet.blogspot.com/2007/08/carla-training-day-2.html

And I have you to thank for introducing me to white shepherds... so thanks!

Angela said...

Hey (why can't I see ur profile?)

Pretty dogs! Good luck with having two bitches in the house ;) Carla's parents are gorgeous, too-must have German lines?

And, you actually have Lotte to thank...she won many over. She died in my arms 10/8/04 at 15+, and I miss her every day.Roman keeps her spirit alive, though, as he does the same herding dogs with balls thing-much to the dismay of the uptight marina yuppies and their 'delicate' labs.