Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Retraining Recalcitrant Roman

One tenet of dog training many owners do not want to believe is...the training never stops. If you have a working breed, like GSDs, it can't stop due to their need to constantly be learning and active. But, life happens and even this dedicated trainer slacked these past few months due to a heavy work schedule. See, trainers are people, too! What is that saying about the cobbler's childrfen not having any shoes?

After Roman got a naughty report card from his dog walker (not holding his stay in the back of the truck), I knew I had to do something and get things balanced again. We are back on our training walks and lessons. While rusty, Roman is thrilled to be 'working' again. Notice how naughty he is in the second video...can you point out his recalcitrance? He knows when mom is tired, that is for sure!

He is doing much better in the first video. He held is down-stay at a good distance. When I released him, he came running to me...not a requirement, but greatly appreciated and a sign he is paying more attention to me. If you would like help in getting your dog to focus more on you and not other dogs, cats, squirrels, etc., please contact me:

http://www.angelacasey.com



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i couldn't get the video to play. is it a problem on my end? Looking forward to watching it! Lara

troutbirder said...

I gotta work on this. The lazy dog trainer syndrome has overtaken me this summer. Baron & I did a lot of swimming workouts though till he got giardia. I liked you videos.

Angela said...

I'm such a lazy trainer. My training routine involves brisk 'training' walks/runs with short sessions working on one or two behaviors. I haven't been teaching Roman anything new, so I think part of the problem is he's getting bored...GSDs are definitely not the best breed to keep home all day or hanging out in a backyard. They need constant mental stimulation!

wampoline said...

Cool that you are adding video to your blog! i'm impressed.

I am one of those dog owners who doesn't want to believe that the training never stops...ugh. I feel like i need a break already and it's only been 6 weeks! (and we're hardly doing heavy training)

I also don't want to believe that my dog can do any wrong...I got a shock today when Lottie was kicked out of the doggie daycare down the street! :-(

Of course they don't say it that way, they say "We'd like to help you find the place which is most compatible with her needs" - whatever. Basically, she had diarrhea all over the place several times (which she does after lots of play sometimes), and she was too rambunctious with the other dogs (the dogsitter did not look happy when we picked her up). Now I know how parents feel when their child has been sent home for bad behaviour! i felt both mad at Lottie for being "bad" and mad at the trainer for not just "dealing" with it (which is unfair of me, i know - but i was so looking forward to having a local place to bring Lottie!)

Angela said...

Try giving her a few spoonfuls of canned, plain pumpkin for the diarrhea (I can't even believe I know such a tip!).

Also, No dog, in my opinion, does wrong. They are acting like dogs. Of course, not all behaviors are acceptable in our society, so we need to train them to suppress some natural urges.

People, otoh, in my opinion, do wrong all the time and we should know better! And yes, I'm getting cynical in my old age.