Saturday, November 1, 2008

Lottie Reincarnated II


Now I am truly weirded out. You might remember my post, Lottie Reincarnated.

Little Lottie is growing up quite well and I am going crazy since I cannot hug and squeeze her. While my Lotte was a white GSD and spelled her name sans /i/, this Lottie found a WGSD neighbor friend to play with. This gorgeous white shepherd's name is Mia...the name of another one of my dogs (she looked a bit like a black and white Tikka). I got Mia when I was 18 and she died when I was 33.

I certainly don't mind being haunted by my dead dogs. I do wonder about reincarnation in the animal world (and being a conservationist, it just makes more sense). I still can't bring myself to get another WGSD since Lotte was so special, I am afraid I would be constantly comparing the new dog. Anyway, dogs usually find me, not the other way around...maybe one day a WGSD will find I need him or her.

I digress.

Last week, while driving through the Presidio on a field trip, we passed the dog cemetery. One of my students asked me if my dogs were buried there.

"No," I replied. "They are buried under a pine tree in Lake Tahoe."

When I visit them, now accompanied by Roman and Tikka (who like to pee on this tree, btw), I pause. Remembering. Wishing. Hoping.

No comments: