Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Fog Creeps In


(yes, once again I can't resist the poetry of paw prints in wet sand)


Sensing my treacherous mood, the fog crept in yesterday cloaking the city with its dreariness. I find some peace, if only for a moment, walking the dogs in the evenings. At that time, I can relish the stillness of Ft. Funston as the dogs chase ravens across the dunes. Walking with dogs doubles the experience since,not only am I taking in everything from my human perspective, but I try to experience it from the dogs' point of view, too. Checking their daily mail, Roman and Tikka silently trot along ahead of me leaving replies. At various points, they stop and wait, air scenting. A dog's eyesight is worse than ours and things that are not moving can be virtually invisible. But, their sense of smell is so intense (humans have 5 million scent receptors; a German shepherd has 225 million!) and provides them with a unique way of interpreting the world.
(click to enlarge image)


The fog and slight wind played havoc with my hair and I surrendered. My unruly mop never stands a chance in frizz weather. We walk down to the beach and watch the fishermen battle the rough waves. I take a detour back to the car and we watch the hang gliders shift deftly through the fog. Rather, I watch and the dogs continue their never ending scent exploration. We see the lady with five pugs, whom we see every day at this time. I take comfort in that.

The day ends apathetically with humans all over experiencing joy, sadness, depression, anger...the day doesn't care and simply goes about its business. It will be here again tomorrow.

No comments: