Sunday, August 17, 2008

Beagles CAN be Trained!


Sid is a one year old beagle who is sweet as can be. His owner contacted me this summer because she was having trouble with him running away from her at the beach and jumping on the coffee and dining room table. "Oh, and he also pulls really hard on the leash." I further discovered during our consult. "I just want him to come when I call him...I don't care about the other stuff. He's a beagle, they can't be trained. I will be surprised if you can do anything with him." First of all, I had to convince her that yes, beagles can be trained. All dogs can. While beagles may be a little more independent due to their original breeding purposes, they are still smart dogs that can learn.

Because I take a holistic approach to training dogs, I can't just teach a dog to come or walk on a loose leash, while ignoring everything else that is going on in his environment. Basic obedience commands ("sit", "down", etc.) are useful and necessary, but are really only one means to an end. My goal for my clients is a dog who is well behaved in and out of the house. Sid pretty much had the upper hand in his family and most of what his owners were doing with him was reactionary. Sid gets in the garbage, "NO SID!", Sid runs away at the beach, "Sid, come, come, come here now! No Sid!" Sid jumps on the dining room table, "No Sid, get off!"

What Sid needed to learn was what TO do in a positive and motivating way. I believe dog training is really about communication. Once Sid's family was able to have better communication with their young beagle, Sid calmed down since it was clear what was expected of him.

I am happy to report that Sid now comes when called, walks on a loose leash and no longer runs amok in the house. His family now has the tools to handle him in all situations and Sid has a lot more freedom.

No comments: