Monday, August 4, 2008

Canis Latrans Makes an Appearance


I've been visiting Lake Tahoe for decades and I've only seen a coyote once. In fact, I've seen more coyotes in San Francisco (granted, I live there year round) than I've ever seen in the Sierra. I figured this was because the coyotes were naturally wary of people in the mountains but have learned to live and survive among us in the city, where we continue to encroach upon their habitat.

Yesterday, at about sunset, the dogs went ballistic on the deck of the cabin (we are staying in South Lake Tahoe, but the cabin is right up next to a national forest). Figuring a dog was out there, I looked over and saw a young coyote under the neighbor's deck. I had never heard Roman bark and growl so deeply. Tikka was charging the fence and least she become a coyote crunchie, I ushered both dogs inside. When I came back out, the coyote looked at me as if to sigh, "Thank you"...visibly more relaxed, and obviously not scared of this human above him, he slowly disappeared among the trees.

Excited to be so close to a wild creature, I silently wished him well.

The Coyote's role in Native American culture is one of the trickster; his lesson is trust and seeing through illusion. Like Wolf, he is a teacher spirit but his lessons are taught with humor; wisdom is found within folly.

No comments: