Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The New Commute

So, I've traded my four wheels in for two...I decided to try to help our environment, my aging body and sickly wallet by riding my bike to work instead of driving...a total of 10 miles round trip and includes many a San Franciscan hill (huff!).

What a different experience this has been. Instead of being insulated and semi conscious in my car, I'm out in the fresh air and feel a part of nature. While I do have to leave at 6:30 a.m., I got this lovely sunrise, still pond with birdsong everywhere, as a reward. You'd never know I live in a city...

On my way to my 'day job' as a teacher (in the Presidio)...




On my way home...

Ooops! Didn't see this today! But, oh...I wish! This pic is from another, slower commute along the Napali coast on the island of Kaua'i (the beach is Ke'e beach...glorious, love it, want to be there now). I'm afraid I have to wait until next summer to get to the islands again.

1 comment:

wampoline said...

Wow...you are motivating me to get out in the morning and ride...i have to say i am usually unwilling to come out of the warm covers until after 7...but there is something to be said for that early morning stillness, that freshness, like you said.

And what a beautiful commute!