Sunday, October 26, 2008

Dog As Teacher



(Tikka as Teacher: Nap often, with wild abandon and always show the belly)

About 15,000 years ago, wolves decided to align their destiny with ours. Many believe ancient man domesticated the wolf by taming wolf pups but I agree with Coppinger's findings that wolves domesticated themselves and, with the help of man, created the most diverse species on this planet.

Native Americans revered the wolf and looked to him as a teacher. He is the forerunner of new ideas; returning from his journeys to teach the clan. They also recognized the loyalty of dog. I believe dogs decided to stay with us to teach us how to live a happy and balanced life...something many of us forgot on the path towards acquiring things, keeping up with our neighbors and selfish, personal pursuits.

In the rushed state I've been living, I usually jump out of bed at the sound of the alarm, racing against the day. My dogs are always eager to keep up with me, but still take time for a good stretch and yawn. In fact, left to their own devices, Tikka and Roman love a long stretch and belly rub first thing in the morning. Roman will then rub his body against the bed, hoping for an errant foot to scratch his rump. Tikka rolls around on her back, stretching her legs in the air, while letting out grumbles of pleasure.Then, they are ready to greet the day with such joy and anticipation, my cup runneth over with guilt as I close the door on their eager faces in order to go to work.

Amazingly, Roman and Tikka do not hold any grudges against me. In fact, they wait all day and greet me with such enthusiasm upon my return. Always. How many of us greet our loved one's return with such love?

Even children recognize how special dogs are.

A friend sent me the following email:
Upon the death of his beloved dog, a six year old's parents mused how short a dog's life is compared to ours. Their son said, "I know why...
People are born so that they can learn how to live a good Life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?' The Six-year-old continued, 'Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.'

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.


Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure Ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass...

So, what has your dog taught you?

Roman has taught me the art of patience and understanding. He has truly helped me become a more calm and relaxed person, even during times of stress.

Tikka has taught me how to see others as individuals, with their own special needs and gifts.

They have both taught me that hard work and perseverance can overcome almost any obstacle...that my goals are within my reach if I remain true to my dream.

Tikka has also taught me that if I fall asleep before her evening walk, she will poop in the dining room and not feel bad about it. Poor Roman is more forgiving of my human failings, thank doG.

Both dogs are still trying to teach me to live in the moment; that life really is only occurring right now, so I better reach out and enjoy it.

(Roman as Teacher: Leap with joy, trusting that the net will appear...and if it doesn't, that you will still land on all four paws ready to try again...)




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

one dog taught me to love all dogs... my present dog taught me how to communicate better with strangers...