Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Migration Meditation




The fall raptor migration is in progress. Every year, thousands of hawks, eagles and falcons congregate at Hawk Hill in the Marin Headlands before they cross the bay. October is peak month, and today was simply gorgeous...so, I headed up to the headlands hoping for a glimpse of some raptors. Unfortunately, the peak hours to see them are between 10am and 2pm and we got there at 4pm. Still. We saw some kestrals, red tails and one unidentified (Cooper's?). While I was disappointed I didn't see more hawks and falcons, the view provided a consolation prize. Can I tell you how spoiled I am? I hop in my car, and 7 minutes later I'm sitting on the side of a hill looking at the city, bridge and Golden Gate. Engulfed by the beauty, I was ever so reluctant to return to the daily routine.

As I sat, watching, tourists from all over stopped, took pictures, got back in their cars and left. All that time I was watching two kestrals and the one unidentified guy (or were they watching me?)...the tourists never even noticed the birds. Most people are looking towards the bridge and the city when they take their pictures, but I was looking west. How many tourists have a picture taken with the bridge in the background vs. the Golden Gate?

Overwhelmed with an emotion I couldn't identify, I vowed to return by bike this weekend...

Below are pics of a red tail and a kestral taken from the internet:

No comments: