Friday, February 15, 2008

Local Teen Hesitant About Homework

San Francisco, CA-Marina resident Erik P. is frustrated with his parents' constant demands that he do his homework. "Not only do they want me to do homework every night, but they want me to do it well." Erik shared with a sigh of exasperation. Since the implementation of PowerSchool in early February, an online, up to the minute grade tracking device, Erik's life at home has become a "living hell." Prior to PowerSchool, Erik was able to get by with a, "Yeah, I did it." response to the daily homework question.

"Now, I have no quality time to myself. I'm exhausted after a day of High School and baseball practice. I need some down time." Erik unplugs with Guitar Hero III and Call to Duty on xBox in addition to instant messaging with his 116 buddies. "At least, I used to...until PowerSchool. Now, my parents say no video games and shit on a school night. Can you believe that? Oh, and get this! If I don't do what they say, I'm grounded. What the F?" He admits to signing on to AIM despite the risks, and minimizing when his mother walks by. "A guy's gotta do what he's gotta do to maintain his sanity."

Tensions at home reached critical mass this week when it was discovered that Erik had several missing homework assignments. "Yeah, I didn't do them...but, so what? My mom totally overreacted. She was nagging at me, saying how everything she does, she does for me, blah, blah, blah. Let me tell you, I saw her, with my own two eyes, reading a book in bed just last week! How is that doing anything for me? How can I believe anything she says now?"

Erik's mother, Angela C., could not be reached for comment.

When asked what he will do now, Erik replied, "I guess I'm gonna have to do it (the homework) and actually turn it in on time...but, I won't like it. WHATever!"

1 comment:

wampoline said...

LOL...this is great! The line about the mother reading a book in bed...priceless!

well, i guess better to laugh than cry...

i hope you'll keep writing these, it could be a fun series (and i'm sure you have no lack of material to draw from!!)